The Spread Eagle
The Spread Eagle is a modified T’Romm Industries freighter that was given to the Crew as a gift by Halus T’Romm himself over the border world of Barrens.
Medium Starship: Size 8, Acc/TS 55/700, Climb 2, Travel Speed 5, Toughness 25 (6), Crew 5 (2 minimum), Cost $23.53M, Remaining Mods 4
- AI: The ship’s AI, Can-D, can operate all systems—from locomotion to weapons to opening or closing hatches. She has a skill level of d10 in these tasks, but is an “Extra” and does not receive a Wild Die. The AI does not suffer from multi-action penalties if given simultaneous tasks. In combat, the AI acts on the captain’s Action Card. Giving the AI a short verbal command is a free action.
- AMCM: Anti-Missile Counter Measures are integrated jammers and decoys. They add +2 to Piloting or Knowledge (Electronics) rolls made to evade missile attacks (and Tractor Beams).
- Atmospheric: Allows the ship to enter planetary atmospheres. This includes heat shielding and additional work to handle the stress and strain of entry. All starships have vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) capability.
- Deflector Screens: The vessel is protected by an energy field that deflects incoming ballistic attacks (it has no effect against lasers). Attackers must subtract –2 from their Shooting rolls.
- Fast: The Spread Eagle cuts through the sky like a hot knife through butter. Add +1 to the ship’s Travel Speed.
- Overgunned: The Spread Eagle can carry more guns than vessels of a similar size. The ship adds 2 to its spaces that can only be used for weapons. These additional guns do not take up any cargo space.
- Fragile Engines (Minor): The reactor core and thrusters are fragile and can easily be burnt out by tractor beams. The engines overheat whenever a pilot rolls a 1 or a 2 on his roll to escape a tractor beam. Replacing the engines and buying off this Hindrance costs 5% of the ship’s total cost.
- Ghost in the Machine (Minor): The ship’s AI, Can-D, has remained loyal to its former owner and does not like the current mortal crew. The malevolent AI will grab the controls, short circuit the engines, and generally cause havoc for the living crew. Each session, the GM gets a “ghost” benny which he may use solely to force the crew to reroll a successful die roll. The crew must keep the lowest roll.
- Monkey’s Paw: This magnetic docking arm allows the Spread Eagle to dock on horizontal surfaces or even upside down. It also grants a +2 Piloting bonus on checks to board another vessel.
- Planetary Sensor Suite: This functions exactly like the Medium Sensor Suite (page 16) but has a range of 10K miles.
- Shields: The craft is protected by an ablative energy field that absorbs 80 points of damage before it’s depleted. Apply all damage to the shield first, then any left over to the ship (AP counts as usual). Active shields detonate missiles and torpedoes before they hit, reducing their damage total by half. A craft may regenerate 8 shield points if it makes no attacks in a round.
- 2×Speed: Increases the ship’s Acc by 10 and Top Speed by 100.
- 2x Quad Linked Heavy Lasers (Shooting plus 2, Range 150/300/600, Damage 4d10+4, AP 15, HW)