The Spread Eagle
This small freighter was the Crew's first ship
The Spread Eagle
Medium Starship: Size 8, Acc/TS 60/750, Climb 2, Travel Speed 5, Toughness 23 (4), Crew 5 (2 minimum), Cost $10.62M, Remaining Mods 4 (3 if loaded with any missiles)
- AMCM: Anti-Missile Counter Measures are integrated jammers and decoys. They add +2 to Piloting or Knowledge (Electronics) rolls made to evade missile attacks (and Tractor Beams).
- Atmospheric: Allows the ship to enter planetary atmospheres. This includes heat shielding and additional work to handle the stress and strain of entry. All starships have vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) capability.
- Deflector Screens: The vessel is protected by an energy field that deflects incoming ballistic attacks (it has no effect against lasers). Attackers must subtract –2 from their Shooting rolls.
- Fast: The Spread Eagle cuts through the sky like a hot knife through butter. Add +1 to the ship’s Travel Speed.
- Overgunned: The Spread Eagle can carry more guns than vessels of a similar size. The ship adds 2 to its spaces that can only be used for weapons. These additional guns do not take up any cargo space.
- Fragile Engines (Minor): The reactor core and thrusters are fragile and can easily be burnt out by tractor beams. The engines overheat whenever a pilot rolls a 1 or a 2 on his roll to escape a tractor beam. Replacing the engines and buying off this Hindrance costs $531K (5% of the ship’s total cost).
- Monkey’s Paw: This magnetic docking arm allows the Spread Eagle to dock on horizontal surfaces or even upside down. It also grants a +2 Piloting bonus on checks to board another vessel.
- Planetary Sensor Suite: Optical, chemical, motion, and other active sensors ignore illumination penalties and add +2 to Notice rolls made to detect designated types of targets such as biological beings, chemical signatures, metal, etc. at a range of 10K miles. The targets do not have to be visible, though dense materials may cause inaccurate or false readings at the GM’s discretion.
- Shields: The craft is protected by an ablative energy field that absorbs 80 points of damage before it’s depleted. Apply all damage to the shield first, then any left over to the ship (AP counts as usual). Active shields detonate missiles and torpedoes before they hit, reducing their damage total by half. A craft may regenerate 8 shield points if it makes no attacks in a round.
- 3×Speed: Increases the ship’s Acc by 15 and Top Speed by 150.
- Thin Hull (Minor): The Spread Eagle’s outer hull is thin and easily penetrated by enemy fire. The ship’s Armor is reduced by 2 (to a minimum of 2). Replacing the Armor and removing the Hindrance costs $3.186M (30% of the ship’s total cost).
- 2x Dual Linked Heavy Lasers (Plus 1 Shooting, Range 150/300/600, Damage 4d10+2, AP 15, HW)
- Light Missile Launcher (Range 200/400/800, Damage 6d6, AP 8, HW, SBT) with no missiles
The Spread Eagle is a modified T’Romm Industries freighter that was given to the Crew as a gift by Halus T’Romm himself over the border world of Barrens.